Friday, November 2, 2018

210. The institution of the Eucharist

The institution of the Eucharist
YOUCAT Catechism + Catechism of the Catholic ChurchLesson 210
Ave Maria series
210  How did Christ institute the Eucharist?
“For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, ‘This is my body, which is for you.  Do this in remembrance of me.’ In the same way also the chalice, after supper, saying, ‘This chalice is the new covenant in my blood.  Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me’”  (1 Corinthians 11:23-25).




Institution of the Eucharist illustration from the Catholic Picture Bible, Catholic Book Publishing Corporation NY.…..210



This (the above,) the oldest account of the events in the Upper Room at the Last Supper, is by the apostle Paul, who was not an eyewitness himself, but rather wrote down what was being preserved as a holy mystery by the young Christian community and was being celebrated in the liturgy.  99
“It was as though I heard a voice from on high: I am the food of the strong; eat then of me and grow. But you will not transform me into yourself like food for the body, but rather you will be transformed into me.” St. Augustine (354-430 at the time of his conversion)

JP  Last Supper  Institution


No comments:

Post a Comment