Monday, November 27, 2017

473 150 PSALMS

YOUCAT Lesson 473
YOUCAT the catechism for Catholic youth

473  How are the Psalms important for our prayer?

There are 150 Psalms in the Old Testament.  They are a collection of songs and prayers written in the centuries before the birth of Jesus which are still prayed today in the Church community—in the so-called Liturgy of the Hours.  The Psalms are among the most beautiful texts in world literature and move even modern readers immediately by their spiritual power.  188

\
Christ the Good Shepherd  illustrated in stained glass at St John the Baptist's Anglican Church, Ashfield, New South Wales. …..473


“The Lord is my shepherd, / I shall not want; / he makes me lie down in green pastures. / He leads me beside still waters; / he restores my soul. / He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. / Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, / I fear no evil; / for you are with me; / your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”  Psalm 23






In Sunday and weekday masses a portion of a psalm relating to the first reading and the Gospel reading are spoken or sung in English.  As part of my daily prayers, I read one psalm each evening at bedtime. –Don L. Bragg

No comments:

Post a Comment