Thursday, August 3, 2017

374 EVERY PERSON BELONGS DIRECTLY TO GOD

YOUCAT Lesson 374
YOUCAT the catechism for Catholic youth

374  Why is God more important than the family?


Without relationship a person cannot live.  Man’s most important relationship is the one he has with God.  This has priority over all human relationships, even family relationships.  [2232-2233]




Ken and Beth Bragg (right) and an unidentified child at left at play in Buck Lake south of Rhinelander. ….. 374





Children do not belong to the parents, nor do parents belong to their children.  Every person belongs directly to God.  Only to God is man bound absolutely and always.  This how we understand what Jesus said to those who are called: “He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me” (Matthew 10:37).  Therefore parents should place their children confidently into God’s hands if the Lord calls them to the consecrated life in a religious order or to be a priest.  145


[2232-2233]

IV. THE FAMILY AND THE KINGDOM


2232 Family ties are important but not absolute. Just as the child grows to maturity and human and spiritual autonomy, so his unique vocation which comes from God asserts itself more clearly and forcefully. Parents should respect this call and encourage their children to follow it. They must be convinced that the first vocation of the Christian is to follow Jesus: "He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:37; compare Mt 16:25.)39 –Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition

2233 Becoming a disciple of Jesus means accepting the invitation to belong to God's family, to live in conformity with His way of life: "For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother, and sister, and mother." (Matthew 12:49.)40 --CCC


No comments:

Post a Comment